Monday 27 December 2010

Perfume Review: Chanel No5 Eau Premiere


A little late coming I know, but all the hype surrounding this re-vamped classic seems to have escaped me… until now.
A classic bottle - what else is expected from the house of Chanel?


The iconic original, has always represented to me the kind of old money featured in an F. Scott Fitzgerald novel. Whenever I smell the powdery top notes it makes me imagine a refined woman partaking in a decadent weekend aboard the Orient Express.

Eau Premiere represents the same wealth, but for the more youthful woman. Featuring the same floral top notes of rose absolut, neroli, jasmine, ylang ylang, and iris, it is not a dramatic departure from the original, just perhaps a more youthful interpretation of it.

Stripped of its aldehydic top notes, and with a new hit of citrus added into the mix this perfume lends itself perfectly to day wear, thanks to it’s much fresher approach.

Is this perfume groundbreaking? No
Thoroughly wearable? Yes I can see me getting through my small bottle at a fairly rapid pace.

It’s main selling point to me however is the fact that it has made me re-appreciate the original in all it’s sharp aldehydic glory. When the original No 5 was launched back in the 1920’s it was a revelation, a completely new and shocking fragrance concept, and this just pails in comparison.

If you are a fan of fresh, everyday fragrances, (think D&G light blue), I would definatly recommend checking this out, but for me I think I will stick to Miss Monroe’s favourite in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment