Thursday 30 December 2010

Mary Katrantzou: Digital Love

Ok, so I am at a little bit of a loose end tonight, so I thought I would use my time to waffle on about one of my favourite designers.

Greek born, Mary Katrantzou, may only have shown 4 collections, but she has in this time managed to cement herself as one today's most innovative young designers.

Her SS11 show, showcased her use of digital printing and trompe l'oeil, at it's finest, literally putting the room onto the woman, instead of the woman into the room. Yet despite all the 3D graphic, wizadry used, the dresses remain flattering to the female form, allowing the clothes to straddle that fine line between art and wearble fashion with ease.



It's hard to believe that these dresses are two dimensional - the domestic image simply printed on, as your eye dances across the garment.

With so much detailing, it's no wander her designs come with a hefty 4 figure price tag.

Oh well, I will just have to be content with staring at the images until my bank balance looks a little bit healthier, and for the more fortunate, her designs are stocked both at brownsfashion.com and in store.

On the bright side it's only 8 weeks until her next collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment